Intertextual Connections


I think people quickly forget who they are, that is why I ask within











I have never been much of a reader in my early days. Nor even an appreciator for things. More appropriately, I think I have many years passing before me as - let the day come, and let the day go; for time waits for no one.

I don't think I read a lot now either, I only feel that I have a lot to catch up with. I missed out on the Dickens, the Blytons even. I have probably crumpled more Sasbadi pages in hope to score perfect letter grades like 'A+'.

For some greater reason and season I can say myself, there's a certain more alarming state that is taking place before me. I am becoming more aware of the present and future, and deeply attached to the past - moments that made history.

In a nutshell, history matters. For it matters me.

Over the spread of 2 1/2 years now since returning, I have frequent Malacca mostly for my self indulgent makan trips that comes along with vintage landscaped moments, conversations that beckons a return. Pouring hot weather, silking in new fabricated thoughts for own beliefs that surpasses my understanding, but an overwhelming desire to come back and search more. So for many months now, as and when I can, I go back and have conversation - with the pioneers and seniors of their time. It's been tugging my heart to find out more.

Why?
Predominantly because of Ah Pa.


In my teens I had a very strained relationship with my father. It had many, many breaking points in which still scars the very me. But God is faithful in removing the thorns and reconciling the bitter pills swallowed. We're definitely on a much better platform together now. For now.

It got me thinking and seeking, why was Ah Pa the way he is? Then it dawned on me, that it best to know about his life more, his younger days and what he was like. That was Chapter 1. Many pages later, inclusive of my on written selections; there is now a greater bookmark to be discovered and I am about this close on starting this project.

I have talked to a few people and have given me the nod to go ahead. A family of publishers and presses gives me the libery to stretch my dollar further. My passion and interest for appreciating the old so that new may come, a chance for me to better at my writing if it is ever suited for tithing, I think my best capture would be this endeavour. Can't say so much about my grammar. But I always say this, things must always sound 'right'. Whether in music, writing, movies or friendship. There must a nice sound to it. There must be a tone and manner. In that zone, I am carefully playing new notes in my life in hope that a melody of genuine brushes may shine through out of my life, and may ultimately be poured out to others.


Recently I googled "The Royal Press + Malacca". I do this sometimes matching other words to see what comes around. And was real suprise to find this:-

... Malacca is a city with an irreconcilable past, in which history is hastily rewritten and packaged for mass consumption; in which the oldest buildings are condemed, their parts sold to willing buyers; in which the past is wrongly told but unquestioningly swallowed; in which traditional communities are displaced by the inexorable drive for profit; in which historic icons are ripped out of context and exploited for tourism. A city whose name is a "saleable item" and nothing more.And a city in which the voice of common sense is seldom heard.
This from the preface to Lim Huck Chin and Fernando Jorge's new book Malacca: Voices from the Street. (source)


"We began by listening to the voices of ordinary Malaccans. We listened to the city's streets, as we searched out hidden corners and abandoned alleyways. Listened to houses and temples, ruins and cemeteries. Even to the murmurs and whispers of empty spaces. We listened at every turn, at every step. To the living and the dead. The past and the present. In the hope that the story of an extraordinary place and its people would be told. And we heard them speak." ~ Lim Huck Chin & Fernando Jorge

In those many pages, there was a picture that jumped out at me in the most remarkable form and spring forth many thoughts and queries. To set some background, my family originates from Malacca, I had some of early holidays there where I ran around playing with the farm animals, catching and breaking their eggs and get spanked for it. I was also fed early meals n expected to sleep for the night at 6pm. Grandmother would fan us to bed every night in quiet stream while she looks out the window and probably thanking God for grandchildren. She was 87 I think when passed away.

The Royal Press in our family's printing press that stands historically with the rest of Jonker Street. And it most recently captured in the above mentioned book. This picture was taken and nothing has changed! Except for the part of me growing up.



If you look closely, right at the end, you can see a picture of my grandfather which really captured the most amazing presence for me in terms of what family history meant. He passed away at 47, I never met him. And this is poignant in a sense, that he is bloodline and I don't know him other than that picture mostly. Sometimes we don't have to look very far do we, even in within we sometimes lose contact so quickly with our very own loved ones. Bible passages depicts those scenario very well too. People forget. We forget. I forget. Easily. Sometimes who we are and our purpose.

More on Voices, found here.


Another equally evocative photo is that of The Royal Press. This photo of a wall with its uneven coat of paint and plaster, loose sheets of paper hung on a metal hook, wooden frames with rows and rows of metal type depict a business that has become a relic of commercial progress / computerisation. ~ speech by Ms. Tan Siok Choo

I naturally emailed them and wrote to them about my amazement and also sharing my relations with The Royal Press and memories (I'll insert an excerpt of that from my work email because its stored there)

***
The crunch got me stirring and this afternoon, I paid a visit to my aunt as we brought food to her after lunch and I spoke about interest in wanting to find out more and possibly doing an interview with a few key people for this project. She was thrilled to be chatting and sharing this moment and appreciated the effort of preservation. I am also excited in some ways and found out so much more in the 20 minute conversation we had. Things I never knew. Quite quickly, on the Japanese occupation, brief introduction of my great great grandfather. I actually come from a family of christian from way up the line. So I really need to dig deep from this point onwards to find out and in hope to may write something about it, maybe even publish at personal printing press cost obviously. Get a good enough content and maybe dreaming to portray a fictional story based on this collection. A movie perhaps. No limits basically.


To ground first, foundational pursuits is key. If anyone can help me with this, let me know:-

1. How do you best conduct interviews? Pen and paper, Voice recorder? My dilemma is this, I want to sit and absorb every moment being told and also wanting to jot it down.

2. How do you best structure your interview or research process, is there is a system in place on doing such, please share?

Photography would be key, I'll either hop on this bandwagon alone and snap along the way. Or maybe bribe some people with good Malaccan food and company to tour with me on this little adventure.

I think this is gonna keep quite busy for a while. To the Royal Press. Pressing the royal flavour of history today. Did some someone call me Honey?













6 Responses to “I think people quickly forget who they are, that is why I ask within”

  1. # Blogger z

    i think anthropologists use both voice recorders and note-taking. if you use a voice recorder you have to either transcribe it yourself or find someone to transcribe it for you. :)

    i have a friend here who has a wife (BA and MA in anthro as well) who did it for him!! now with digital cameras, you'll be able to take lots of pictures too.:)

    first step, like you've done, is reading up on books that have already been published on your area so you don't duplicate. there has been more scholarship on melaka and nyonya culture than most of the other states, so . . . more to read!!

    sounds like an interesting project!  

  2. # Blogger rizumu

    Thanks z! I somehow had a hunch that u'll be first to post. Good on the tips, will think about that approach and get started on it. Well, I don't have a wife with such majors yet :p

    Yeah, reading is now coming up to scale. Well, you're probably on book 54291? I'll keep you posted on the project but be sure hear more on food reviews than anything else :p  

  3. # Blogger z

    hey if you can post up recipes, i'll be checking regularly!  

  4. # Blogger -sarah-

    all the best with this project of yours! i'll be watching the bookshelves ;) hehe  

  5. # Blogger rizumu

    z :) once i get some good recipes of Ning and Aunt H, u'll be the first to know...  

  6. # Blogger rizumu

    sarah, haha... i don't know if it'll ever see light but let's hope some greater good might come out of it. M quite surprised by the interest n response of others.  

Post a Comment



© 2005-2006 Intertextual Connections | Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.